The composition courses are made to help the students to improve in their writing skills when preparing for their academic work. They’re normally taken in a first year of the college as well as are offered at different levels to suit their academic needs or preparation levels of the incoming students. So, taking composition course can prepare the students to be very successful in their college.
Lots of students who are taking composition course are in the first year of college. The composition courses – mainly the first-year courses — are made to introduce the student to their college environment, and helping them to learn about their skills in the future classes.
Preparing for the Academic Writing
The English composition courses will teach you write in an academic style. The academic writing is mostly expected in many college courses and needs high level of complexity compared to any other kinds of writing style. In the composition classes, you are taught to use different research, well-constructed arguments and rhetorical devices to articulate your ideas and thoughts on paper. The academic writing needs the advanced level of stylistic and grammatical skill. The composition classes will help the students to develop such skills.
Work In A Learning Environment
The class sizes are kept smaller than other introductory courses. It helps you form the supportive community where to work on the composition skills. The composition teachers are highly trained to use the group work, writing workshops and peer editing that will help you to build community within a classroom when working on the writing skills.
Improve Your Study Skills
The composition courses give you an opportunity of improving your study skills in the supportive environment. English composition course is one of the classes that new students generally take in their colleges, and teachers are ready to help them not just with the writing issues, but any concerns about organization, scheduling or other challenges.
Now you better knowledge of composition, let us look at different course elements in the English Composition. The English Composition class generally teaches you by practice and theory exercises to do following:
- Brainstorming topics you will introduce or write about.
- Review and understand the assigned topic
- Craft the strong thesis statement
- Create the outline
- Include right sources, evidence and proof.
- Write your first draft or start writing! You need to write the complete sentences or follow the outline.
- Get the first review & feedback.
- Write specifics or go in detail after making the general statement.
- Write final draft and then proofread it
- Re-write your article based on the feedback. Incorporate any kind of edits or suggestions that will make sense or improve the composition.